Five-goal Porto complete Spartak demolition
Berne: Porto completed their ruthless Europa League demolition of Spartak Moscow on Thursday, winning 5-2 away in Thursday`s quarter-final second leg for an emphatic 10-3 aggregate win.
Striker Radamel Falcao took his Europa League tally to 11 goals this season as he was among the scorers on a chilly Moscow evening for the recently-crowned Portuguese champions.
Porto, who fielded nine South Americans in their starting line-up, maintained their 100 percent record away record in the competition with seven wins out of seven.
Brazilian striker Hulk fired Porto ahead in the 28th minute, finishing off a slick couter-attack, and Uruguayan midfielder Cristian Rodriguez headed another in first-half stoppage time.
Fredy Guarin made it 3-0 two minutes after the re-start, converting a chance created by his fellow Colombian Falcao who headed the fourth from close range seven minutes later.
Artem Dzyuba had pulled one back in between for the Russians and Brazilian striker Ari reduced the arrears again in the 72nd minute with a well-taken goal.
Porto substitute Ruben Micael was the only Portuguese to get on the scoresheet when he fired home a rebound in the 89th minute.
Porto, who have won 24 out of 26 league games this season and 12 out of 14 Europa League matches, are likely to face Villarreal in their semi-final.
The Spanish team were playing Twente Enschede later on Thursday with a 5-1 lead from the first leg.
In the other late kickoffs, Benfica defend a 4-1 lead at PSV Eindhoven and Braga, the third of the Portuguese trio in the quarter-finals, host Dynamo Kiev having draw 1-1 in Ukraine.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- AR Rahman's romantic ballads steal Delhi hearts