Five ministers in Modi government cede ground to Cong, GPP
Ahmedabad: Even as Narendra Modi is well on the road to make a hat-trick in Gujarat, five incumbent BJP ministers lost the electoral battle.
Among those defeated are three Cabinet ministers and two junior ministers.
While Agriculture Minister Dileep Sanghani went down to Congress` Paresh Dhanani by a margin of 29,893 votes from Amreli seat, his cabinet colleague and Health Minister Jaynarayan Vyas was humbled by Balvantsinh Rajput of Congress from Siddhpur assembly seat in Patan district by 25,824 votes.
Vyas, also a spokesperson for the state government, had defeated Rajput in the 2007 Assembly elections by a margin of 2,429 votes. However, delimitation considerably dented his prospects to clinch a consecutive win.
Another poll casualty was Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Fakirbhai Vaghela who lost to Congress` Jethabhai Vaghela by a margin of 22,839 votes from Vadgam assembly constituency in Banaskantha district.
Among junior ministers, minister of state for Forest and Environment Kiritsinh Rana put up a brave fight but ultimately lost to sitting Congress MP Soma Ganda by a margin of 1,561 votes from Limbdi assembly seat in Surendranagar district.
Minister of state for Agriculture Kanubhai Bhalala was trounced by Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) president Keshubhai Patel from Visavadar seat by a margin of 42,186 votes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- SC issues notice to Vijay Mallya for not disclosing assets
- Parliament video: Speaker forms 9-member probe panel, asks Bhagwant Mann not to attend House
- Impressed with Narendra Modi; India is in safe hands under his government - Praises by RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat
- ‘Wanted’ duo Salman Khan – Prabhudheva to team up again?
- NASA's Viking mission data to unfold Mars' mystery