Five ministers in Modi government cede ground to Cong, GPP
Ahmedabad: Even as Narendra Modi is well on the road to make a hat-trick in Gujarat, five incumbent BJP ministers lost the electoral battle.
Among those defeated are three Cabinet ministers and two junior ministers.
While Agriculture Minister Dileep Sanghani went down to Congress` Paresh Dhanani by a margin of 29,893 votes from Amreli seat, his cabinet colleague and Health Minister Jaynarayan Vyas was humbled by Balvantsinh Rajput of Congress from Siddhpur assembly seat in Patan district by 25,824 votes.
Vyas, also a spokesperson for the state government, had defeated Rajput in the 2007 Assembly elections by a margin of 2,429 votes. However, delimitation considerably dented his prospects to clinch a consecutive win.
Another poll casualty was Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Fakirbhai Vaghela who lost to Congress` Jethabhai Vaghela by a margin of 22,839 votes from Vadgam assembly constituency in Banaskantha district.
Among junior ministers, minister of state for Forest and Environment Kiritsinh Rana put up a brave fight but ultimately lost to sitting Congress MP Soma Ganda by a margin of 1,561 votes from Limbdi assembly seat in Surendranagar district.
Minister of state for Agriculture Kanubhai Bhalala was trounced by Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) president Keshubhai Patel from Visavadar seat by a margin of 42,186 votes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- IPL Betting: Lalit Modi names three cricketers who were bribed
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report