Five ministers in Modi government cede ground to Cong, GPP
Ahmedabad: Even as Narendra Modi is well on the road to make a hat-trick in Gujarat, five incumbent BJP ministers lost the electoral battle.
Among those defeated are three Cabinet ministers and two junior ministers.
While Agriculture Minister Dileep Sanghani went down to Congress` Paresh Dhanani by a margin of 29,893 votes from Amreli seat, his cabinet colleague and Health Minister Jaynarayan Vyas was humbled by Balvantsinh Rajput of Congress from Siddhpur assembly seat in Patan district by 25,824 votes.
Vyas, also a spokesperson for the state government, had defeated Rajput in the 2007 Assembly elections by a margin of 2,429 votes. However, delimitation considerably dented his prospects to clinch a consecutive win.
Another poll casualty was Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Fakirbhai Vaghela who lost to Congress` Jethabhai Vaghela by a margin of 22,839 votes from Vadgam assembly constituency in Banaskantha district.
Among junior ministers, minister of state for Forest and Environment Kiritsinh Rana put up a brave fight but ultimately lost to sitting Congress MP Soma Ganda by a margin of 1,561 votes from Limbdi assembly seat in Surendranagar district.
Minister of state for Agriculture Kanubhai Bhalala was trounced by Gujarat Parivartan Party (GPP) president Keshubhai Patel from Visavadar seat by a margin of 42,186 votes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for women tourists
- Panel discussion on Mahesh Sharma's controversial safety guidelines for tourist women - Part II
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- Rajnath Singh to head all-party delegation to Kashmir on September 4
- Could 3D printing save our coral reefs? - Watch
- Ranbir Kapoor has a Bollywood style icon and he is a BIGGIE!
- Yemen suicide bombing: At least 45 dead so far
- West Bengal renamed as 'Bangla' in Bengali, 'Bengal' in English; state assembly passes resolution