Five more bank closures bring number of bank failures to 77
Washington: US regulators have shut down five more regional banks, bringing the total number of US bank failures to 77 this year, the US government announced.
The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) said Colonial Bank of Montgomery became the largest US bank to fail this year after it was declared bankrupt and had the bulk of its assets taken over by rival BB&T.
All of Alabama-based Colonial`s 346 branches will reopen Saturday "and operate as branches of BB&T," the FDIC said.
The list of closed banks also included the Community Bank of Nevada in Las Vegas that was closed by order of the Nevada Financial Institutions Division, which appointed the FDIC as receiver.
As of the end of June, the bank had total assets of USD 1.52 billion and total deposits of about 1.38 billion.
Also shut down was the Community Bank of Arizona in Phoenix, which will be taken over by MidFirst Bank from Oklahoma City.
The bank had total assets of USD 158.5 million, most of which will be purchased by MidFirst Bank, the FDIC said.
The Oklahoman bank will also assume all of the deposits of Union Bank of Gilbert, another Arizona institution shut down by regulators.
The closed financial institutions also include the Dwelling House Savings and Loan Association of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed