Five more bank closures bring number of bank failures to 77
Washington: US regulators have shut down five more regional banks, bringing the total number of US bank failures to 77 this year, the US government announced.
The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) said Colonial Bank of Montgomery became the largest US bank to fail this year after it was declared bankrupt and had the bulk of its assets taken over by rival BB&T.
All of Alabama-based Colonial`s 346 branches will reopen Saturday "and operate as branches of BB&T," the FDIC said.
The list of closed banks also included the Community Bank of Nevada in Las Vegas that was closed by order of the Nevada Financial Institutions Division, which appointed the FDIC as receiver.
As of the end of June, the bank had total assets of USD 1.52 billion and total deposits of about 1.38 billion.
Also shut down was the Community Bank of Arizona in Phoenix, which will be taken over by MidFirst Bank from Oklahoma City.
The bank had total assets of USD 158.5 million, most of which will be purchased by MidFirst Bank, the FDIC said.
The Oklahoman bank will also assume all of the deposits of Union Bank of Gilbert, another Arizona institution shut down by regulators.
The closed financial institutions also include the Dwelling House Savings and Loan Association of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'