Five more questioned in Sankararaman murder case
Puducherry: Five more accused were questioned
on Thursday in the Sankararaman murder case in which Kanchi seer
Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra Saraswathi are
the prime accused.
They denied statements submitted by prosecution witnesses
during examination earlier and said the "case was foisted
While the first batch of four accused, including the two
seers, were questioned on July 18, eight more accused were
questioned on the next day.
Three accused were questioned yesterday.
All the 20 accused questioned so far had told the court
that "false case" had been foisted against them.
Only 13 of the 24 accused were present in the court today
and the absentees included the two seers, who have been
charged under sections 120-B (criminal conspiracy) and 302
(murder) of IPC.
Sankararaman, manager of Varadarajaperumal temple in
Kancheepuram was allegedly murdered on the premises of the
temple on September 3, 2004. The Sankaracharya and his deputy
have been charged with conspiracy in eliminating Sankararaman
out of personal enmity.
The trial in the case was shifted to Puducherry from a
court in Chengalpet in Kancheepuram on a directive from
Supreme Court in 2005 following a petition by the two seers.
A total of 189 witnesses were examined since commencement of
the trial in April 2009. As many as 81 witnesses turned
hostile during examination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday