Five upsets in National Grasscourt Tennis Ch`ships
Kolkata: There were as many as five upsets in singles competition of Vishwarupa Tubes National Grasscourt Tennis Championships at the Calcutta South Club here on Wednesday.
In the men`s section, qualifier Ashutosh Singh of Delhi
defeated seventh seed Vijyant Malik of Chandigarh 7-6(7-5),
7-6(9-7) in a 122-minute affair.
In the first set Singh and Malik exchanged breaks twice
before the proceedings went into tie-breaker, which the former
Both traded serves once in the second set that again went
into tie-breaker and Singh again bagged it 9-7.
Uttar Pradesh`s Lakshit Sood defeated another lucky loser
Ramkumar Ramanathan of Tamil Nadu 2-6, 6-3, 6-3 to make it to
Among women, Gujarat`s Ankita Raina ousted the third seed
Sweta Kumari Solanki of Delhi 6-4, 6-3 in straight sets.
Maharashtra`s Kyra Shroff took out sixth seed Aishwarya
Agrawal of Madhya Pradesh in a 175-minute marathon clash. Kyra
outplayed Agrawal 4-6, 7-5, 7-6(7-5).
Meanwhile, Radhika Kanitkar of Maharashtra defeated the
seventh seed Sweta Rana of Himachal Pradesh 6-4, 6-4.
The last upset was Air India`s Geeta Manohar beating the
eighth seed, Karnataka`s Prarthana Prathap 6-1, 6-2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand