Flag disrespect: Petition filed against Sachin, Mirza and 2 others
Madurai: A petition was on Monday filed in the Madras High Court bench, seeking action against sport stars Sachin Tendulkar and Sania Mirza and two others for "insulting" the national flag. Petitioner B Stalin sought a direction to register the cases against the four under the Prevention of Insults to National Honour Act, 1971 and Emblems and Names (Prevention of Improper use) Act, 1950.
Popular TV host Mandira Bedi and a lady law officer of the International Cricket Council (ICC) were the other two persons named in the petition
Stalin recalled a report which had stated that the ICC lady lawyer had created a controversy outside the venue of the India-Pakistan World Cup semi-final match by stamping on the tricolour and balloons with the flag national printed on them.
Officials had not taken any action though her act was a violation of the Prevention of Insults to National Honour Act, 1971 and Emblems and Names (Prevention of Improper use) Act, 1950, Stalin said.
He enclosed news clippings as "proof" of Tendulkar celebrating his birthday on March 2010 by cutting a cake on which the tricolour had been portrayed.
A sportswear campaign featuring Sania Mirza resting her foot on a guitar painted in the tricolour and another one of Mandira Bedi wearing a sari with the national flag on its border, touching her feet were also brought to notice by him.
The petitioner submitted that he had lodged a complaint with police, but that the DCP had told him that the stars were "national treasures" worshiped by crores of fans. Moreover, he was told that the incidents had occurred outside the territorial jurisdiction.
Stalin requested the court to direct the DGP (Law and Order) and CBI Director to appoint an official to enquire into the complaint and register it.
The case will be taken for admission on May 25, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in