Flag disrespect: Petition filed against Sachin, Mirza and 2 others
Madurai: A petition was on Monday filed in the Madras High Court bench, seeking action against sport stars Sachin Tendulkar and Sania Mirza and two others for "insulting" the national flag. Petitioner B Stalin sought a direction to register the cases against the four under the Prevention of Insults to National Honour Act, 1971 and Emblems and Names (Prevention of Improper use) Act, 1950.
Popular TV host Mandira Bedi and a lady law officer of the International Cricket Council (ICC) were the other two persons named in the petition
Stalin recalled a report which had stated that the ICC lady lawyer had created a controversy outside the venue of the India-Pakistan World Cup semi-final match by stamping on the tricolour and balloons with the flag national printed on them.
Officials had not taken any action though her act was a violation of the Prevention of Insults to National Honour Act, 1971 and Emblems and Names (Prevention of Improper use) Act, 1950, Stalin said.
He enclosed news clippings as "proof" of Tendulkar celebrating his birthday on March 2010 by cutting a cake on which the tricolour had been portrayed.
A sportswear campaign featuring Sania Mirza resting her foot on a guitar painted in the tricolour and another one of Mandira Bedi wearing a sari with the national flag on its border, touching her feet were also brought to notice by him.
The petitioner submitted that he had lodged a complaint with police, but that the DCP had told him that the stars were "national treasures" worshiped by crores of fans. Moreover, he was told that the incidents had occurred outside the territorial jurisdiction.
Stalin requested the court to direct the DGP (Law and Order) and CBI Director to appoint an official to enquire into the complaint and register it.
The case will be taken for admission on May 25, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note