Flying Fish reaches Montreal Masters final
Montreal: Mardy Fish swept past Serb Janko Tipsarevic 6-3, 6-4 at the Montreal Masters on Saturday to reach his third consecutive final and lift the gloom hanging over American tennis.
Fish, who has tapped into a rich vein of form in the build-up to the U.S. Open winning in Atlanta and reaching the Los Angeles final, is brimming with confidence heading into the Flushing Meadows grand slam.
Fish`s resume includes six titles but a win on Sunday would be by far the biggest of the 29-year-old`s career.
No American has won on the Canadian hardcourts since Andy Roddick in 2003 and Fish will be the first to reach the final since Andre Agassi in 2005.
"I know the history," said Fish. "It has been a great week. It has been well documented that I haven`t done well at all in this tournament.”
"I win a lot of matches because I can play a lot of different styles.”
"A faster surface like this is going to suit my game perfectly. A hard court where I`ve got my footing pretty good.”
A Fish-Tipsarevic semi-final seemed unlikely at the beginning of the week with neither player having ever managed to win a match on the Canadian hardcourts.
Tipsarevic, the only unseeded player to reach the quarter-finals, had an impressive run to the last four having beaten seventh seeded Czech Tomas Berdych and number 15 Fernando Verdasco of Spain but had no answers for the sixth seeded Fixh.
The American broke the Serb at the first opportunity and sped to a 3-0 lead on way to winning the first set.
Tipsarevic also dropped his opening serve in the second set but was quickly back on level terms breaking back at 2-2.
However, Fish was relentless and gained the upper hand again with a break to go ahead 4-3, with Tipsarevic exploding in a fit of frustration and smashing his racket onto the court.
Fish, working mainly from the baseline but mixing in some serve-and-volley, then held serve to win in a tidy 76 minutes.
"Just playing semi-finals in a Masters event is a good result for anyone but I really am not happy about the performance today," said Tipsarevic, who nevertheless will now break into the world`s top 20 for the first time.
"I felt I was focused too much on fighting for every point rather than being focused on what I needed to do.”
"It`s really simple, I said it yesterday: In order to beat Mardy Fish, I needed to play well. I didn`t play well, so the result was 6-3 6-4. Very simple."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!