Food supplements behind dope flunk: Ashwini
New Delhi: Dope tainted Asian Games double gold medallist Ashwini Akkunji claimed innocence and blamed the vitamin supplements she had consumed on the advice of foreign coach Yuri Ogrodnik as the source of the anabolic steroid found in her body.
"I am innocent and have never failed a dope test before this. We only took the food supplements recommended by our coach and only after consuming the supplements, we have been tested positive," said Akkunji, who was a member of the 4x400m team that won gold medals at last year`s Commonwealth as well as Asian Games.
"It`s sad since I made many sacrifices during my career. I have never taken steroids in my entire career. It`s not the first time that I have given the dope test. Whenever NADA or WADA had called me, I have given the tests.”
"During the Asian Games, three times we have been called for dope tests and we never failed it. This thing has never happened before. It`s really sad that all this has happened to us. We are totally innocent," she added.
Ashiwni, who was tested positive for banned anabolic steroid methandienone in an out-of-competition test at NIS Patiala on June 27, was present at the National Dope Testing Laboratory for her B sample test.
Apart from Ashwini, Mandeep Kaur and Sini Jose are the other members of the 4x400m relay quartet who have tested positive for methandienone, while five other athletes, including three more quartermilers -- Juana Murmu, Tiana Mary Thomas and Priyanka Panwar -- have also failed dope tests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family