Ford sues Ferrari for using F-150 name on race car
Detroit: Ford Motor Co sued luxury automaker Ferrari for trademark infringement after Ferrari named its 2011 Formula 1 racing car the "F150."
Ferrari`s F150 logo bears striking resemblance to the one on Ford`s F-150 pickup truck, the top-selling vehicle in the United States, Ford said in a complaint filed in federal court.
"Ferrari has misappropriated the F-150 trademark in naming its new racing vehicle the `F150` in order to capitalize on and profit from the substantial goodwill that Ford has developed in the F-150 trademark," Ford said in a complaint filed in US District Court in Detroit.
Ford is asking the court to bar Ferrari from using the name. The automaker is also seeking unspecified damages, including damages of USD 100,000 under the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act.
Fiat SpA has an 85 percent stake in Ferrari, and management control of Chrysler Group LLC, in which it has a 25 percent stake.
Ford and Ferrari could not be immediately reached for comment. According to the complaint, the two automakers have a "legendary history as rivals in auto racing."
Ferrari set up a website -- www.ferrarif150.com -- to promote the racing vehicle.
"The choice of name stems from Ferrari`s desire to pay tribute to this year`s one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the unification of Italy," Ferrari said, according to a Jan. 25 press release posted on ferrarif150.com.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown