Ford to up India output by over 30% ahead of festive season
New Delhi: American car major Ford on Wednesday said
it will increase vehicle production in India by over 30 per
cent from this month to meet increased demand in the upcoming
"We have been producing about 130 vehicles a day but this
will be increased to 174 vehicles a day this month," Ford
India President and MD Michael Boneham told reporters here.
He said demand has increased for its entry level sedan
Ikon, which was given a facelift last November, mid-sized
sedan Fiesta and also for SUV Endeavour.
The company today launched an advanced version of sports
utility vehicle Endeavour, priced between Rs 15.99 lakh and
17.99 lakh (ex-showroom, New Delhi).
Boneham, however, said the company expects its overall
vehicles sales in 2009 to remain more or less similar that in
the last year at around 31,000 units.
"While things are improving, we also need to be a bit
cautious ... while the Indian government has done a good job
to boost the auto sector, issue like extra Rs 15,000 duty on
big cars need to be addressed," he said.
Ford India last year announced a USD 500 million
investment plan spanning over three years to expand its
manufacturing facility, setting up of a new diesel engine
plant and also on new product development, including a small
car for the Indian car market.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Say goodbye to your acidity woes with these ten simple tips!
- India prays for Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa; PM, Army Chief visit hospital