Foreign education providers Bill to be introduced
Puducherry: The Centre would soon introduce in Parliament the much-awaited ‘Foreign Education Providers (Regulation) Bill’ which would help students get access to education provided by overseas universities.
"It is on the anvil. It has gone to the Law Ministry for vetting, after which it will be introduced", Minister of State for Human Resource Development Dr D Purandeswari told reporters on the second day of the Editors` Conference on Saturday.
Through this bill, institutions adhering to AICTE norms would be allowed to have tie-ups with foreign institutions to avoid "fly by night" operators, she said.
Urging state governments to increase their education spend, Purandeswari said the Government`s target was to utilise upto six per cent of the GDP in the education sector.
"Currently, 3.78 per cent of country`s GDP is utilised for expenses in the education sector. Education is a cooperative responsibility of both the Government of India and states. We need to work together," she said.
She said as many as 14 bills aimed at ushering in reforms in the education sector were pending as Opposition had stalled proceedings in Parliament (over Lok Pal bill).
Purandeswari said the Right to Education Act would be enforced from 2013.
She said the HRD Ministry planned to come out with a "National Accreditation Bill" making it mandatory for all institutions to have quality infrastructure.
She said the time was ripe for India to have a relook at the education policy and to further strengthen programmes in the sector in the wake of globalisation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks