Foreign varsity`s consultancy income not taxable in India: AAR
New Delhi: The income foreign universities earn by providing consultancy services to industry chambers or other non-profit organisations in India is not taxable, a tax authority ruled.
"UT(IC2) (a wing of University of Texas) is not liable to
pay income tax in respect of the payments received by it from
FICCI as per the Agreement entered into between FICCI and the
University of Texas," the Authority of Advance Ruling (AAR)
This means industry body FICCI is not required to deduct
tax at source while making payments to the University of Texas
for the consultancy services the university provided to it.
FICCI had sought the ruling of the AAR to know the tax
liability of the university and the amount of tax which the
chamber had to deduct while making payments to the foreign
The industry chamber had entered into an agreement with a
wing of the University of Texas for certain work and services
to complete a Defence Research and Development Organisation
FICCI is assisting DRDO laboratories in identification
and business development of competitive global technologies
from its inventory of existing defence-related innovations.
The authority pointed out that the payment made in this
respect by FICCI to the University of Texas cannot be treated
as fee for technical services, which are taxable under the
Income Tax Act, 1961.
"They cannot be subjected to tax as business profits in
view of the undisputed and undeniable fact that Texas
University has no permanent establishment (PE) in India and
the services were not carried out through a PE in India," the
AAR ruling said.
FICCI, a leading industry chamber is a non-profit company
registered under the Companies Act, 1956 and its income is not
taxable in India while the University of Texas has been
granted exemption from tax under the provisions of Internal
Revenue Code (IRC).
Although the AAR decision is binding only on the
applicant seeking an order on a tax query, it does set a
persuasive precedence for similar cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- British tourist masturbated at in Mumbai; Indian men apologise
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM