Forgotten men Demichelis, Tymoshchuk on target for Bayern
Berlin: Bayern Munich’s forgotten men Martin Demichelis and Anatoliy Tymoshchuk scored a goal each on Friday as the champions eased past Freiburg 4-2 and moved up to seventh in the Bundesliga.
Demichelis, who refused to sit on the bench early in the season after being dropped, came on just before the start after central defender Holger Badstuber was injured during the warm-up.
The Argentine made the best of his rare start to glance in a header from a Danijel Pranjic cross six minutes before the break to give injury-plagued Bayern the lead.
Mario Gomez doubled it just past the hour with another header before substitute Stefan Reisinger briefly cut the deficit three minutes later.
Ukrainian Tymoshchuk, who has also hinted he would like to leave in the winter transfer window, fired in Bayern’s third from the edge of the box and Toni Kroos added another with a thundering long-range effort nine minutes from time.
Edson Braafheid’s own goal in the 86th minute did little to dampen the champion’s celebrations on the final whistle as the Bavarians moved up with 15 points.
League leaders Mainz 05, on 24 points, host second-placed Borussia Dortmund, who are two points adrift.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday