Forlan strike gives Atletico edge over Liverpool
Madrid: Diego Forlan scrambled an early goal to give Atletico Madrid a deserved 1-0 win over a lethargic-looking Liverpool in the first leg of their Europa League semi-final.
The Uruguay striker fluffed an attempted header in the ninth minute at a boisterous Calderon stadium but his follow-up effort evaded goalkeeper Pepe Reina and defender Jamie Carragher and squeezed just inside the post.
Liverpool`s journey to the Spanish capital via Paris had taken 24 hours due to airspace restrictions and the Premier League side, missing former Atletico striker Fernando Torres, struggled to build any momentum after falling behind.
Liverpool coach Rafael Benitez fielded a cautious-looking starting team, with defensive midfielders Lucas and Javier Mascherano both included and David N`Gog alone up front.
Reina twice saved them from falling further behind in the second half. The Spaniard pulled off a fine reflex stop to deny Simao Sabrosa and later flung himself to his right to block a powerful Tomas Ujfalusi strike as dominant Atletico pressed for a second goal.
"We are happy but we know that we have to play another 90 minutes and it`s going to be difficult," Forlan said in a television interview.
"It`s going to be hard. They play well at Anfield and they are a very strong side," added Forlan, who scored two goals for his former club Manchester United to win a Premier League match at Liverpool`s home ground in 2002.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Uttarakhand: BJP MLA Prem Singh Rana insulted during CM Harish Rawat's speech
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth