Former Assam CM resigns from Congress
Guwahati: Dissidence within the ruling
Congress came to the fore on Saturday on the eve of Assam assembly
polls with the resignation of former Chief Minister Anwara Taimur and minister Bijit Saikia.
Taimur, a Congress aspirant from the Dalgaon assembly
constituency, resigned from the primary membership of the
party after she was denied ticket and joined the minority
dominated All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF).
Alleging that "senior" leaders of the Congress have
been sidelined in the process of candidate selection, Taimur
said today she will not contest the ensuing assembly poll but
"actively" campaign for the AIUDF.
Former Industry minister in the erstwhile Hiteswar
Saikia-led Congress government, Saikia had resigned after
being refused party ticket and joined the Trinamool Congress.
He will be contesting as the Trinamool Congress
nominee for the prestigious Tezpur assembly constituency.
Congress party headquarter at Rajiv Bhavan has
witnessed protests of disgruntled ticket seekers recently with
supporters having demonstrated before AICC General Secretary
and state election in-charge Digvijay Singh.
Several other Congress members who had been denied
tickets have joined the Trinamool Congress including Debeswar
Borah, its state president, but Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi
said the Trinamool will not be a "factor" in the ensuing
"Those who have joined the Trinamool Congress will
come to the Congress fold," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA