Former Assam CM resigns from Congress
Guwahati: Dissidence within the ruling
Congress came to the fore on Saturday on the eve of Assam assembly
polls with the resignation of former Chief Minister Anwara Taimur and minister Bijit Saikia.
Taimur, a Congress aspirant from the Dalgaon assembly
constituency, resigned from the primary membership of the
party after she was denied ticket and joined the minority
dominated All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF).
Alleging that "senior" leaders of the Congress have
been sidelined in the process of candidate selection, Taimur
said today she will not contest the ensuing assembly poll but
"actively" campaign for the AIUDF.
Former Industry minister in the erstwhile Hiteswar
Saikia-led Congress government, Saikia had resigned after
being refused party ticket and joined the Trinamool Congress.
He will be contesting as the Trinamool Congress
nominee for the prestigious Tezpur assembly constituency.
Congress party headquarter at Rajiv Bhavan has
witnessed protests of disgruntled ticket seekers recently with
supporters having demonstrated before AICC General Secretary
and state election in-charge Digvijay Singh.
Several other Congress members who had been denied
tickets have joined the Trinamool Congress including Debeswar
Borah, its state president, but Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi
said the Trinamool will not be a "factor" in the ensuing
"Those who have joined the Trinamool Congress will
come to the Congress fold," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister