Former hockey coach condemns Nobbs appointment
Jalandhar: Former national coach Rajinder Singh has strongly condemned the appointment of Australian Michael Jack Nobbs as the chief coach of Indian men`s hockey team, saying the selection is neither in favour of the players nor in the interest of the sport in the country.
Rajinder, who coached the Indian team for little over two years since his inception in April 2002, said the selection of Nobbs was against the tradition and culture of hockey in India and his appointment would not do any good to the struggling sport.
"We always had hold on the Olympics. We have several great and experienced players. They (the administrators) have overlooked all those names and have forced upon the players a coach who is just the opposite of the tradition and culture in India," Rajinder told reporters.
The Olympian was baffled by the move as he felt there are a number of eminent former players in the country who could have donned the responsibility.
"Could the hockey administrators not find a person from India, which has won eight Olympic gold medals rather than importing an Australian for the job," asked Rajinder, who was forced to resign from his job following lack of support from the administrators.
Nobbs was yesterday appointed the coach of the national men`s team for an unprecedented five-year period, thus becoming the fourth foreigner to take up the mantle of reviving Indian hockey.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday