Former kabbadi player selling vegetables
Jamshedpur: Shanti Devi, a 40-year-old former Bihar Kabbadi team is now selling vegetables at the Sonari Aerodrome Market here to feed her three sons and a daughter.
Shanti Devi, who represented Bihar in the 30th, 31st and 32nd National Kabbadi Championship in the 1980s, said, "Our meagre income has forced us to discontinue school for the children, while two of my sons work."
Stating that she had represented undivided Bihar team more than thirty times in various championships, including national ones, Devi regretted that she was ignored.
Devi admits that she studied upto only class five. "But any government could have offered me a job. "Though I was keen to represent West Bengal in the hope of getting a job, but the then team officials did not
allow it," she said.
She said she could have carried on with the game after her marriage as she had the support of her in-laws. "But I quit the game to support my husband, whose earnings were insufficient."
She said she had kept aside her medals as she did not want her children to take up the game.
"I have never encouraged them, as I don`t want them to face the same frustration."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings