Former kabbadi player selling vegetables
Jamshedpur: Shanti Devi, a 40-year-old former Bihar Kabbadi team is now selling vegetables at the Sonari Aerodrome Market here to feed her three sons and a daughter.
Shanti Devi, who represented Bihar in the 30th, 31st and 32nd National Kabbadi Championship in the 1980s, said, "Our meagre income has forced us to discontinue school for the children, while two of my sons work."
Stating that she had represented undivided Bihar team more than thirty times in various championships, including national ones, Devi regretted that she was ignored.
Devi admits that she studied upto only class five. "But any government could have offered me a job. "Though I was keen to represent West Bengal in the hope of getting a job, but the then team officials did not
allow it," she said.
She said she could have carried on with the game after her marriage as she had the support of her in-laws. "But I quit the game to support my husband, whose earnings were insufficient."
She said she had kept aside her medals as she did not want her children to take up the game.
"I have never encouraged them, as I don`t want them to face the same frustration."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what