Former Olympian Akotkar backs Kalmadi
Pune: Former Olympian Balkrishna Akotkar came out strongly in support of underfire Suresh Kalmadi and lashed out at his Tokyo Olympics fellowman Milkha Singh for his recent remarks that Army should have handled the Commonwealth Games preparation.
The national marathon record holder, Akotkar, said Singh had himself been "unsuccessful" despite being in the helm of affairs of Chandigarh Amateur Athletic Association (CAAA) and it was irrational for him to criticise with less than two months to go for the October 3-14 Delhi Games.
"It`s shocking to note the irrational comments by one of the great athletes of the country. His remarks were baseless and unwarranted in the interest of the country. It`s easy to point fingers at each other. He is an iconic figure and what has been his contribution," the 1964 Tokyo Olympian told a news agency.
Miffed with Singh`s recent remarks where he criticized Kalmadi with scams marring the build up to the CWG, the 75-year-old claimed, "I would honour and felicitate you with a purse of Rs 1 lakh if you could produce an Olympic medal winner. He should have weighed the pros and cons before making such comments."
In strong support of Kalmadi who hails from Pune, Akotkar said "The Athletic Federation of India (AFI) has gone on record for the outstanding contribution of IOA president Kalmadi. It`s through his efforts the cash award scheme was launched and many top-ranked athletes were benefited.
"Even the country has hailed the phenomenal organizing capacity of Kalmadi in getting not only Commonwealth Youth Games (in Pune) but also successfully bidding for the CWG which has come to the country after the 1982 Asiad."
Akotkar had represented in the 1964 Tokyo Olympics alongside Singh.
Singh had earlier trained guns at Kalmadi and held the OC chairman responsible for all the mess in the build up to the CWG and said that Army should have handled the operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH