Former Olympic champ Manaudou announces comeback
Paris: Former Olympic champion Laure Manaudou of France said on Sunday she will come out of retirement, joining a growing list of swimmers returning to the pool before the 2012 London Games.
"Yes, the will to resume competing is back," Manaudou told Sunday paper Le Journal du dimanche. "I need time. I`m not yet at world-championship level but I will work on it."
The 24-year-old Frenchwoman won gold in the 400 metres freestyle at the 2004 Olympics in Athens. She announced her retirement in 2009, in the wake of disappointing results at the 2008 Beijing Games.
Asked whether she wanted to be in London next year, she said: "Every swimmer who has been to Olympics wants to return but there`s a long way to go. First of all I need to qualify."
France`s most prolific swimmer, Manaudou has won several world titles and held several world records. Her partner is top French swimmer Frederick Bousquet. The couple have a daughter, Manon, who was born last year
Five-times Olympic champion Ian Thorpe and three-times champion Libby Trickett have also returned to the pool after the Australian duo ended retirements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 94 seats, BJP ahead in 56; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: BJP leader Kirit Somaiya's son wins in Mumbai; Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM grabs 5 seats in Solapur
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Counting underway; Shiv Sena leads the race