Former world boxing champ Forrest shot dead in Atlanta
Atlanta: Former world boxing champion Vernon Forrest was shot dead in Atlanta, the victim of an apparent robbery, city authorities and local media said.
Forrest was best known for causing an upset in 2001 against then WBC welterweight champion Shane Mosley -- regarded by many as the world`s best fighter at the time -- and beating him again six months later.
Forrest, who was based in Atlanta, was a world champion in the welterweight and light middleweight divisions and also fought for the United States at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics.
"The cause of death is multiple gunshot wounds involving the torso and thigh, and the manner of death is homicide," the chief medical examiner of Georgia`s Fulton county said in a statement.
Forrest was shot on Saturday as he attempted to prevent people from stealing his car at a gas station in southwest Atlanta. His girlfriend`s son was in the car at the time.
The case is being investigated by the Atlanta police, according to the medical examiner and local media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP