Forty injured in Sarajevo crowd violence
Sarajevo: Around 40 people, among them 17 police officers, were injured when soccer fans clashed with police after a 1-1 draw between Sarajevo and Siroki Brijeg late, local official said.
Sarajevo supporters had hoped for a victory in memory of a soccer fan killed in violence that accompanied the last match with Siroki Brijeg in October.
"You betrayed us," supporters shouted at players and club management after the game ended. The players managed to escape safely from the stadium.
Fans then clashed with security and police who tried to stop them from damaging the stadium.
"Seventeen policemen were injured in the violence, several with serious injuries," Sarajevo police spokesman Dragan Mijokovic said. "Up to 15 people were detained."
Most people were treated for face and head injuries but nobody was seriously hurt.
Several people were also injured in clashes between police and fans after a match between local rivals Zrinjski and Velez in the ethnically divided southern town of Mostar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday