Fossil of new dinosaur species found in China
Beijing: Scientists in China have discovered the fossils of a previously-unknown dinosaur species - a meat-eating theropod.
The fossils of the dinosaur were unearthed at Longshan in Yi Autonomous Prefecture of Chuxiong in September, said Dong Zhiming, a researcher from the Chinese Academy of Sciences` Institute of Vertebrate Paleontology and Paleoanthropology.
The dinosaur was estimated to have lived about 180 million years ago, or during the early Jurassic Period, the People`s Daily reported Sunday.
"The dinosaur was at least 120 cm long and 70 cm tall, and it had a long tail and sharp teeth," he said.
It was related to the Coelophysises, which were small, meat-eating dinosaurs and lived in the North American continent in the late Triassic period.
The new species will be named after a more detailed research, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder