Four arrested in connection with Nallasopara rly stn violence
Mumbai: Four persons have been arrested for
allegedly leading violent protests at the Nallasopara railway
station following disruption of the suburban train services on
the western line, railway police said on Wednesday.
"Four persons were arrested late last night for leading
violent protests outside Nallasopara station in neighbouring
Thane district. Besides rioting, they allegedly damaged public
property and deterred public servant from doing his duty,"
Government Railway Police Commissioner Tukaram Chavan said.
The train services were disrupted yesterday on the
western line for more than five hours after an overhead wire
snapped between suburban Borivali and Dahisar stations at 0700
Agitated over non-running of trains, hundreds of students
and office-goers went on a rampage at the Nallasopara station.
"A report explaining as to why the police had to fire in
the air and lathi-charge will also be submitted to the state
government soon," Chavan said.
"There were thousands of people who went on rampage and
damaged railway property despite police tried to control
situation. They pelted stones following which the police had
to lathi-charge and fire to disperse the mob," Chavan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Bollywood pays respect to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam