Four arrested in Jind youth`s lynching incident
Chandigarh: Police on Saturday arrested four persons who were allegedly part of a mob that lynched a youth in police presence on Wednesday for marrying a woman of the same sub-caste, even as she told a court that she was drugged and lured by the man.
"Four persons were arrested this afternoon and they are being interrogated," Jind district Deputy Commissioner Mohammed Shayin said on phone.
He, however, said they were not related to the girl`s family and further details would be given later.
The incident had taken place in Singhwal village, about 165 km from here, when 21-year-old Ved Pal of Matour village in neighbouring Kaithal district accompanied by a warrant officer of the Punjab and Haryana High Court and police had gone to take his wife Sonia Banwala from her house.
A mob of 400 villagers attacked the police party and lynched the youth. Police claimed that he had tried to escape from the spot in a bid to save himself but ran into the mob that beat him to death.
Yesterday, Sonia had appeared in the court of Sub Divisional Magistrate at Narwana and said that she was lured by Pal into leaving home and kept in a "drugged state" for several weeks.
Sonia claimed in court that she was staying with her maternal uncle in Jind town for past several days and she was unable to remember anything about her relationship with Ved Pal as she was regularly administered some drugs by him.
She also told the court that she faced no threat from her family.
Yesterday, Station House Officer Balwant Singh, under whose jurisdiction Singhwal village falls, was suspended for dereliction of duty as he was in charge of Ved Pal`s security.
Two days after his death, the victim`s distraught father Hari Krishan vented his anger against the warrant officer saying it was he who prevailed upon Pal to accompany him to the girl`s house in Singhwal despite his initial reluctance to do so.
Krishan said that politicians were not intervening in the matter, and added, "They could pressurise the administration to punish all those who are guilty for murdering my son, but no one is speaking a word about the incident."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know