Four Indian boxers in President`s Cup quarters
New Delhi: Indian boxers were off to a fine start in the 21st President`s Cup with South Asian Games gold-medallist Chhote Lal Yadav and three others advancing to the quarterfinals of the event in Jakarta, Indonesia.
Yadav, the reigning national champion in the bantam weight 56kg division, beat Hong Kong`s Tso Sing Yu 18-7 in his pre-quarterfinal bout of the event, which is being held seven years after Indonesia was rocked by the devastating Tsunami.
In the fly weight 52kg division, Santhosh Harijan notched up a 14-8 triumph over local favourite Hosni Sanveloranv.
An 18-year-old Gaurav Bidhuri (49kg), who claimed a bronze medal at the National Games earlier this year, also advanced to the quarterfinals after beating Bogi Andriano of Indonesia 14-8.
Also in the last-eight stage was National Championships silver-medallist Jasveer Singh (81kg), who got a first-round bye.
However, Neeraj Goyat (60kg) lost a thrilling contest against Cen Yu of China.
The 19-year-old was locked 10-10 with his rival at the end of the regulation three rounds but lost the bout on countback after individual scores were taken into account by the judges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday