French banks sue for billions over Lehman collapse
Paris: France`s top banks are demanding billions of dollars (euros) from the administrator of failed Wall Street investment bank Lehman Brothers, official documents issued on Friday showed.
BNP Paribas is claiming around 1.3 billion dollars, Societe Generale 800 million dollars and Dexia 400 million dollars, according to an agency’s calculations based on documents for the administrator published on the site Epiq Systems.
Other French banks and insurers are claiming hundreds of millions of dollars more. The deadline for claims set by the US bankruptcy court was September 22, more than a year after the shock failure of Lehman Brothers.
Lehman`s collapse on September 15, 2008 sowed panic in boardrooms, government offices and households around the world and has come to symbolise the beginning of a steep slump that plunged the global economy into recession.
"Like other creditors, we are engaged in a procedure to recover our debts," said a spokesman for Dexia who did not however confirm the amount sought.
A spokesman for French insurer Axa, which is seeking 186 million dollars according to the documents issued Friday, said: "We suffered a loss."
BNP Paribas and Societe Generale decline to comment on their own claims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof