French Football suspends official over `race quota` claim
Paris: The French Football Federation`s (FFF) national technical director Francois Blaquart has been suspended amid a row over an alleged project to enforce racial quotas in youth academies, Sports Minister Chantal Jouanno said on Saturday.
"Sports Minister Chantal Jouanno and FFF president Fernand Duchaussoy have decided to suspend immediately national technical director Francois Blaquart pending the conclusions of an investigation led by the FFF and the IGJS (General Inspection of Youth and Sports)," Jouanno said in a statement.
The statement said the investigation was expected to be completed within eight days.
On Thursday, French investigative website Mediapart, citing sources within the FFF, said Blaquart proposed to enforce racial quotas to limit the number of players of black or Arab origin in youth academies.
On Saturday, Mediapart published a verbatim report of a meeting at which France coach Laurent Blanc, Blaquart, under-21 coach Erick Mombaerts and under-20 coach Francis Smerecki, among others, had a debate over players with dual nationality groomed in France eventually opting to play for their country of origin.
France team media officer Philippe Tournon said on Saturday: "It was a debate on players with dual nationality. Causes and effects are being confused here.”
"There is no official comment now but I`m in contact with Laurent Blanc and the federation and there could be some reaction in the afternoon."
Blanc, who won the 1998 World Cup with a team dubbed `Black-Blanc-Beur` (Blacks, Whites and Arabs) by French media, has often raised the issue of dual nationality players.
He denied, however, being in favour of quotas in youth academies.
"No such project has been revealed to me. It`s a lie," Blanc told a news conference in Bordeaux on Friday.
"You cannot have quotas in football. It does not exist. Football is made of diversity."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'