French pair suffer early Cincinnati exit
Cincinnati: France`s Gael Monfils and Gilles Simon suffered early exits from the Cincinnati Masters.
American James Blake, a former world number four, crashed out of the tournament in just 45 minutes but his compatriot Mardy Fish battled into the second round.
Fish produced a spirited display to defeat Simon 7-6, 7-5 and set up a match with Spanish eighth-seed Fernando Verdasco.
Monfils, the 16th seed, fell to Colombian qualifier Alejandro Falla 6-3, 6-4 while Blake`s slide down the rankings continued with a 6-3, 6-0 loss to Uzbekistan`s Denis Istomin.
The good news for France came with Richard Gasquet defeating 12th seeded Russian Mikhail Youzhny 2-6, 6-4, 6-1.
Czech seventh seed Tomas Berdych, the Wimbledon runner-up, began his campaign against Frenchman Paul-Henri Mathieu in straightforward fashion with a 6-4 6-4 win in his second round match.
The top seeds, including world number one Rafael Nadal, begin their second-round matches on Wednesday.
Nadal will face American Taylor Dent while Roger Federer takes on Istomin and Britain`s Andy Murray faces Frenchman Jeremy Chardy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing