From March, 12-car train to Panvel: Hindustan Times
Mumbai: New-age trains are all set to start plying to Panvel in two months.
The first set of 12-car trains will run on the newly rechristened Trans-Harbour railway line between Panvel and Thane stations by March. The railways have renamed the Thane-Vashi line as the Trans-Harbour line so that it could come under a separate plan head and get more infrastructure.
The Harbour line currently ferries over 30 per cent of the Central line’s passenger traffic using 30 trains which make around 500 trips a day.
The study to convert the older CST-Panvel Harbour line is also complete and work will begin soon. Running 12-car rakes on this line is a pressing need, said railway officials.
The project began after Chief Minister Ashok Chavan visited Panvel for a railway function and requested Railway Minister Mamata Banerjee to run 12-car trains on the Harbour line.
“The Harbour line serves Navi Mumbai and there is already too much crowding on this route. It is therefore necessary that infrastructure on Harbour line is also modified to enable running of suburban trains with 12-car formation,” a senior official said.
The Mumbai Railway Vikas Corporation said they had worked out a solution to avoid the demolition of the six-storey building at CST for extending the platforms to accommodate 12-car trains on the Harbour line.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das