Future computers will perform complex calculations
Washington: Future computers will perform complex calculations unthinkable for existing models with scientists tweaking a mechanism to process and transmit data at phenomenally high speeds.
Future computers will exploit the mind-bending properties of quantum particles, a mode of computing that relies on quantum bits or qubits, encoding information as ones and zeros.
While a bit can represent either a one or a zero, a qubit can represent both one and zero simultaneously, a state known as superposition.
This allows for instantaneous processing of calculations in a truly parallel system, skyrocketing computing ability, the journal Nature magazine reports.
Using intense magnetic fields, Susumu Takahashi, assistant professor at the University of Southern California`s Dornsife College and colleagues managed to suppress decoherence, a key stumbling block in quantum computing.
Decoherence, described as a "quantum bug," knocks quantum particle out of superposition, the ability to exist simultaneously in one and zero states, which has delayed the creation of a fully functional quantum computer, says a Southern California release.
Researchers figured out that qubits function optimally when decoherence is reduced by 1,000 times, something which crystalline molecular magnets helped Takahashi accomplish.
"This will obviously increase signals from the qubit drastically, so the detection of the qubit in the molecular magnets is much easier," Takahashi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH