Gagan to carry India’s flag in Asian Games opening ceremony
New Delhi: Ace shooter Gagan Narang, who won four gold medals at last month’s Commonwealth Games, will be India’s flag-bearer at the opening ceremony of the 16th Asian Games in Guangzhou, China on November 12.
It was announced by Indian Olympic Association president Suresh Kalmadi here on Tuesday.
“We chose Gagan not only because he emerged India’s best athlete in the Commonwealth Games with four gold medals but also because he has been one of the most consistent performers for India in the past few years,” Kalmadi said of the 27-year-old rifle shooter, who first shot into limelight in the Afro-Asian Games in Hyderabad.
“Gagan won four gold medals in the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne. In 2008, he won the 10m air rifle gold in the World up finals and earlier this year, claimed bronze in the World championship. He is also ranked world No 4 in the 10m air rifle event,” Kalmadi added.
The IOA chief said Gagan was handpicked for the honour from among a number of champions.
“It is a pleasure to have such choice and strengthens our belief that Olympic sport in India is progressing in the right direction,” Kalmadi said.
The Asian Games will be held in the Guangzhou from November 12-27.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'