GAIL keen to join NTPC in 2000-MW facility near Dabhol plant
New Delhi: State-run gas utility GAIL India is keen to join NTPC in a new 2,000 MW power plant planned adjacent to the beleaguered Dabhol plant in Maharashtra.
"We feel that since GAIL and NTPC had come together to rescue Dabhol power plant (when it was in distress), GAIL should be part of any expansion that NTPC is planning (in better times)," GAIL Chairman and Managing Director B C Tripathi told reporters here.
NTPC is planning additional capacity of at least 2,000 MW at the site adjacent to the Dabhol power plant at an estimated cost of about Rs 8,000 crore.
Dabhol power plant, built by US energy major Enron Corp, originally was planned with a generation capacity of 2,150 MW but was later scaled down because of problems with equipment.
The plant is currently generating around 950 MW and Ratnagiri Gas and Power Pvt Ltd - the new owner of the Dabhol power plant and the adjacent LNG receipt facility - hopeful of reaching full capacity generation of 1,950 MW by March.
We have spoken to both NTPC and Power Ministry and have favourable response," Tripathi said adding RGPPL had enough land for the expansion.
NTPC and GAIL hold 29.65 per cent stake each of RGPPL and the Maharashtra government has a 15 per cent. The balance is with financial institutions.
RGPPL is likely to begin operating the 5 million tonnes a year liquefied natural gas receipt facility by April.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch