Gambhir declared fit for Champions Trophy
New Delhi: India’s Champions Trophy campaign received a major boost on Thursday after dashing opener Gautam Gambhir was declared fit to participate in the upcoming mega event.
The Champions Trophy begins in South Africa on September 22 and the Indian team are scheduled to leave tomorrow morning.
Gambhir was scheduled to appear for a fitness test today and was given a go ahead taking into account his past performances.
Having returned from the tour of Sri Lanka midway, Gambhir was undergoing rehabilitation at the NCA.
Gambhir had to return from Sri Lanka after aggravating a groin injury he sustained during the Corporate Trophy.
Talking to reporters a few days ago, Gambhir said that he was recovering well and hoped to be fully fit in time for the Champions Trophy.
"I am going to get fit before the Champions Trophy for sure," he said.
"It`s a groin strain, so it would have taken me a week to 10 days - and our first game is on the 26th [in the Champions Trophy]. And I want to get fit before that."
"If I had continued playing there (in Sri Lanka), it (the injury) would have aggravated, and there`s a long season up ahead. I didn`t want to take that risk. The Champions Trophy is much more important."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed