Gambhir declared fit for Pakistan game
Johannesburg: After the heartbreak of Yuvraj Singh’s untimely exit from the ongoing Champions Trophy in South Africa, there was finally some good news for the Men in Blue as dashing opener Gautam Gambhir was cleared to play in India’s first game of the tournament against Pakistan on September 26.
Earlier on Thursday, the BCCI said that Gambhir would figure in the game against Pakistan after having missed the lone warm-up game against New Zealand.
"He was cleared by the BCCI experts when he underwent a fitness test in Mumbai before the team`s departure. I understand he`s playing in the first match," said BCCI secretary N Srinivasan here.
Gambhir hurt his groin before the tri-series in Sri Lanka that India won and had to return home. He was advised two weeks` rest.
India, already weakened before departure by the absence of injured stalwarts Virender Sehwag and Zaheer Khan, suffered another major setback to their hopes when star batsman Yuvraj Singh was injured.
Yuvraj, who broke a finger in his right hand during the net session while going for a catch, has been ruled out for six weeks which could force him out of the entire best-of-seven home ODI series against Australia commencing at Baroda on October 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites