Gambhir declared fit for Pakistan game
Johannesburg: After the heartbreak of Yuvraj Singh’s untimely exit from the ongoing Champions Trophy in South Africa, there was finally some good news for the Men in Blue as dashing opener Gautam Gambhir was cleared to play in India’s first game of the tournament against Pakistan on September 26.
Earlier on Thursday, the BCCI said that Gambhir would figure in the game against Pakistan after having missed the lone warm-up game against New Zealand.
"He was cleared by the BCCI experts when he underwent a fitness test in Mumbai before the team`s departure. I understand he`s playing in the first match," said BCCI secretary N Srinivasan here.
Gambhir hurt his groin before the tri-series in Sri Lanka that India won and had to return home. He was advised two weeks` rest.
India, already weakened before departure by the absence of injured stalwarts Virender Sehwag and Zaheer Khan, suffered another major setback to their hopes when star batsman Yuvraj Singh was injured.
Yuvraj, who broke a finger in his right hand during the net session while going for a catch, has been ruled out for six weeks which could force him out of the entire best-of-seven home ODI series against Australia commencing at Baroda on October 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa