Gambhir out of tri-series; Kohli to replace
Colombo: Even before India`s campaign in the Sri Lanka tri-series could kick-off, India suffered a huge blow as star opening batsman Gautam Gambhir was ruled out of the Compaq Cup 2009 due to a groin injury.
As reported first by Zeecric, Virat Kohli has been named as replacement for the injured Gambhir.
Gambhir, who suffered the injury while practicing has been advised ten days rest by the team physio and will return home shortly.
"Gautam Gambhir has strained his groin muscle and has been advised rest for ten days," BCCI secretary N Srinivasan said in a statement.
"He will be returning to India," he added.
India went to Sri Lanka without the services of two of their star players, Virender Sehwag and Zaheer Khan, both of whom were forced to miss the series because of injuries.
Gambhir`s return means India will be without both their regular openers since Virender Sehwag is already out of action since he is recovering from a shoulder surgery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi