Gambhir out of tri-series; Kohli to replace
Colombo: Even before India`s campaign in the Sri Lanka tri-series could kick-off, India suffered a huge blow as star opening batsman Gautam Gambhir was ruled out of the Compaq Cup 2009 due to a groin injury.
As reported first by Zeecric, Virat Kohli has been named as replacement for the injured Gambhir.
Gambhir, who suffered the injury while practicing has been advised ten days rest by the team physio and will return home shortly.
"Gautam Gambhir has strained his groin muscle and has been advised rest for ten days," BCCI secretary N Srinivasan said in a statement.
"He will be returning to India," he added.
India went to Sri Lanka without the services of two of their star players, Virender Sehwag and Zaheer Khan, both of whom were forced to miss the series because of injuries.
Gambhir`s return means India will be without both their regular openers since Virender Sehwag is already out of action since he is recovering from a shoulder surgery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral