Gambhir out of tri-series; Kohli to replace
Colombo: Even before India`s campaign in the Sri Lanka tri-series could kick-off, India suffered a huge blow as star opening batsman Gautam Gambhir was ruled out of the Compaq Cup 2009 due to a groin injury.
As reported first by Zeecric, Virat Kohli has been named as replacement for the injured Gambhir.
Gambhir, who suffered the injury while practicing has been advised ten days rest by the team physio and will return home shortly.
"Gautam Gambhir has strained his groin muscle and has been advised rest for ten days," BCCI secretary N Srinivasan said in a statement.
"He will be returning to India," he added.
India went to Sri Lanka without the services of two of their star players, Virender Sehwag and Zaheer Khan, both of whom were forced to miss the series because of injuries.
Gambhir`s return means India will be without both their regular openers since Virender Sehwag is already out of action since he is recovering from a shoulder surgery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Wow! This self-driving robot can deliver food to your door (Watch)
- 2nd conviction in coal scam; 3 top officials of Rathi steel convicted
- Photo alert! ‘Baazigar’ jodi Shah Rukh Khan-Shilpa Shetty looks like this now
- Flipkart-owned Myntra acquires Jabong for an undisclosed amount
- Sandeep Dikshit unhappy with Ajay Maken? Says can't accept a leadership whose objective was to discredit Sheila Dikshit