Gambhir out of tri-series; Kohli to replace
Colombo: Even before India`s campaign in the Sri Lanka tri-series could kick-off, India suffered a huge blow as star opening batsman Gautam Gambhir was ruled out of the Compaq Cup 2009 due to a groin injury.
As reported first by Zeecric, Virat Kohli has been named as replacement for the injured Gambhir.
Gambhir, who suffered the injury while practicing has been advised ten days rest by the team physio and will return home shortly.
"Gautam Gambhir has strained his groin muscle and has been advised rest for ten days," BCCI secretary N Srinivasan said in a statement.
"He will be returning to India," he added.
India went to Sri Lanka without the services of two of their star players, Virender Sehwag and Zaheer Khan, both of whom were forced to miss the series because of injuries.
Gambhir`s return means India will be without both their regular openers since Virender Sehwag is already out of action since he is recovering from a shoulder surgery.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory