Gambhir wins Castrol best cricketer award
Mumbai: India opener Gautam Gambhir edged out teammate Virender Sehwag to be named the Castrol Cricketer of the Year 2008 at a glittering function here on Thursday.
Gambhir, who was declared fit today to travel to South Africa with the Indian squad for the ICC Champions Trophy after missing the previously held triangular series in Sri Lanka, received Rs five lakh and a trophy.
The left-hander, who scored over 1000 runs in Tests and ODIs in 2008, also won the best batsman of the year award while feisty off-spinner Harbhajan Singh won the best bowler of the year honours, worth a trophy and Rs two lakh each.
Swashbuckling batsman Sehwag and India skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni were declared the Test and One-Day cricketers of the same year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Muslims not doing 'enough' to fight Islamic State: Jordan's Queen Rania