Gandhi statue vandalism: India conveys concern to Lanka
Colombo: India has taken up with Sri Lanka
the issue of vandalism of a statue of Mahatma Gandhi in the
eastern town of Batticaloa and offered assistance in
The statue of Mahatma Gandhi along with those of Lord
Baden Powell and two Tamil scholars had been found damaged on
Thursday, prompting the Sri Lankan government to order an
Diplomatic sources said the Indian High Commission here
has protested and expressed concern over the act of vandalism
by an unknown group on Thursday.
India also offered assistance to rebuild the Gandhi
statue, they said.
Sri Lanka`s External Affairs Ministry has said that
police had been directed to carry out a probe to determine the
motive and to nab the culprits.
"The Inspector General of Police has been instructed to
carry out an immediate and thorough investigation into these
incidents to identify motives and culprits behind these acts
of vandalism," it said.
According to locals, the statue had been erected in 1960.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai