German court rules against Samsung in Apple suit
London: A German court ruled against Samsung Electronics Co (005930.KS) in a patent suit versus Apple (AAPL.O), another leg in a long legal battle as the two technology giants jostle for top spot in the booming smartphone and tablet markets.
Samsung, which passed Apple in the third quarter as the world`s top maker of smartphones, is locked in a bruising patent tussle with the US firm in some 10 countries from the United States to Australia, France and Japan.
"This ruling related to only one of 13 patents that are currently in suit between those parties in Germany, and of dozens of patents on a worldwide basis," said independent patent expert Florian Mueller.
"It`s not the first rejection of a complaint involving these two players, and barring a major surprise, it won`t be the last."
Samsung said Friday`s ruling by a court in the German city of Mannheim covers one patent out of the three mobile technologies it claims Apple infringed. The German court will decide on the other two patents on January 27 and March 2.
"We are disappointed that the court did not share our views regarding the infringement by Apple of this specific patent in Germany," Samsung said in a statement.
The South Korean firm said it has yet to decide whether to appeal Friday`s ruling.
Apple first sued Samsung in April, claiming that the maker of the Galaxy range of smartphones and tablets "slavishly" copied Apple`s iPhone and iPad models.
The ruling on the first full hearing in Germany comes after Samsung won a round against Apple in early December when an Australian court lifted a ban on the sale of its Galaxy tablet computer in time for the busy Christmas shopping season.
That triumph was tempered by a setback the previous day in Paris where another court rejected its bid to block sales of Apple`s iPhone 4S in France.
The quarrel has triggered expectations that some of the pair`s $5 billion-plus relationship may be up for grabs. Samsung counts Apple as its biggest customer and makes parts central to Apple`s mobile devices including processing chips.
Samsung has spent some $60 million in Apple-related legal expenses so far since the legal battle in April, a senior Samsung executive said.
Apple is also involved in patent battle with other smartphone markers using Google`s (GOOG.O) free Android platform, the fastest growing mobile operating system that is also used on the Galaxy range.
Motorola Mobility Inc (MMI.N) did not violate Apple`s patent in making some smartphones, a judge at the U.S. International Trade and Commission (ITC) said in a preliminary ruling earlier this month.
The ITC found in December that Taiwan`s HTC (2498.TW) had infringed an Apple patent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'