German medal hope Mikitenko pulls out of world champs
Berlin: London marathon champion Irina Mikitenko has pulled out of this month’s world athletics championships because of poor form, the German federation (DLV) said on Saturday.
“Irina Mikitenko’s withdrawal is a blow for our team,” DLV sports director Juergen Mallow told reporters in Cottbus during an athletics meeting.
“Irina did not manage to hit world championship form in the St Moritz altitude training camp,” he said, adding the death of her father two weeks ago was the reason for her poor preparations.
“We are very, very sad about this,” said Mallow.
Mikitenko, winner in London for the last two years, was one of the favourites for the women’s marathon title at the Aug. 15-23 championships in Berlin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Brexit shockwaves hit British jobs, consumer confidence
- Mandsaur Muslim women assault case: Four accused held as victims narrate tale of horror
- Rupee rules firm for 3rd day, up 10 paise to 67.04 Vs USD
- Mehbooba Mufti's Burhan Wani bombshell - WATCH what exactly she said
- BELIEVE IT OR NOT! This cricket team was bowled out of just 3 runs – Details inside