German medal hope Mikitenko pulls out of world champs
Berlin: London marathon champion Irina Mikitenko has pulled out of this month’s world athletics championships because of poor form, the German federation (DLV) said on Saturday.
“Irina Mikitenko’s withdrawal is a blow for our team,” DLV sports director Juergen Mallow told reporters in Cottbus during an athletics meeting.
“Irina did not manage to hit world championship form in the St Moritz altitude training camp,” he said, adding the death of her father two weeks ago was the reason for her poor preparations.
“We are very, very sad about this,” said Mallow.
Mikitenko, winner in London for the last two years, was one of the favourites for the women’s marathon title at the Aug. 15-23 championships in Berlin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore