Germany beat Uruguay 3-2; finish third at WC
Port Elizabeth: Sami Khedira scored late in the 82nd minute to give Germany a 3-2 victory over Uruguay and third place for the second straight World Cup.
Khedira`s header after the Uruguay defense failed to clear a corner kick by Mesut Oezil ended Uruguay`s hopes of beating Germany for the first time in 82 years.
Uruguay came from behind to lead 2-1 when striker Diego Forlan brilliantly volleyed in Egidio Arevalo`s 51st-minute cross for his fifth goal of the tournament.
Germany defender Marcell Jansen tied it five minutes later with a header after goalkeeper Fernando Muslera misjudged a cross.
Thomas Mueller opened the scoring for Germany in the 18th minute, also his fifth goal at the World Cup. Edinson Cavani equalized for Uruguay in the 28th when he slid a shot past goalkeeper Hans Joerg Butt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days