Germany demands political asylum for Assange
Berlin: The Die Linke German Socialist Party (left-wing) demanded that government of Chancellor Angela Merkel grant political asylum to Julian
Assange, the founder of the WikiLeaks website.
With that measure, the German government will give unconditional support for freedom of expression, said Sevim Dagdelen, the Die Linke deputy in the federal Parliament.
Dagdelen backed UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay, who said attempts to intimidate websites that collaborate with WikiLeaks as an attack on the rule of law.
The Internet is not the backyard of the United States, said Dagdelen, who is also member of the parliamentary International Commission and spokeswoman for her party in international politics.
She said the campaign against Assange is shameful and refutes the propaganda of those talking about human rights to achieve their political goals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal