Gerrard to miss start of season due to infection
London: Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is in hospital and will miss the start of the new season after suffering an infection in a long-standing groin problem.
"Steven Gerrard today began a course of antibiotic treatment for an infection related to an ongoing groin problem," the Premier League club said on their website (www.liverpoolfc.tv) on Saturday.
"He is expected to remain in hospital for several days while the precautionary procedure is completed ... and is expected to be available for selection in September."
The England midfielder missed the club`s pre-season tour of Asia this month in order to try to regain full fitness for the start of the new season on Aug 13.
Gerrard missed the end of last season because of the groin problem and needed surgery.
Liverpool kick off the season at home to Sunderland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation