Gerrard to miss start of season due to infection
London: Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is in hospital and will miss the start of the new season after suffering an infection in a long-standing groin problem.
"Steven Gerrard today began a course of antibiotic treatment for an infection related to an ongoing groin problem," the Premier League club said on their website (www.liverpoolfc.tv) on Saturday.
"He is expected to remain in hospital for several days while the precautionary procedure is completed ... and is expected to be available for selection in September."
The England midfielder missed the club`s pre-season tour of Asia this month in order to try to regain full fitness for the start of the new season on Aug 13.
Gerrard missed the end of last season because of the groin problem and needed surgery.
Liverpool kick off the season at home to Sunderland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?