Gerrard to miss start of season due to infection
London: Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is in hospital and will miss the start of the new season after suffering an infection in a long-standing groin problem.
"Steven Gerrard today began a course of antibiotic treatment for an infection related to an ongoing groin problem," the Premier League club said on their website (www.liverpoolfc.tv) on Saturday.
"He is expected to remain in hospital for several days while the precautionary procedure is completed ... and is expected to be available for selection in September."
The England midfielder missed the club`s pre-season tour of Asia this month in order to try to regain full fitness for the start of the new season on Aug 13.
Gerrard missed the end of last season because of the groin problem and needed surgery.
Liverpool kick off the season at home to Sunderland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice