Ghana FA suspend all organised soccer after police raid
Accra: Ghana’s Football Association (GFA) suspended all organised soccer in the country on Friday after a turbulent week in which their headquarters were raided and FIFA warned of suspension for the World Cup quarter-finalists.
The GFA said there would be no matches in the country until police complete investigations into the association’s activities.
Plain-clothed officers from the country’s Economic and Organised Crime Unit (EOCU) raided the GFA headquarters on Tuesday and removed nine computers and took the mobile phones of some staff.
The GFA said this had brought it to an administrative standstill and prompted world soccer’s governing body FIFA to warn government authorities to stop interfering.
On Wednesday, the Ghanaian clubs voted to pull their members out of the league, bringing domestic football in the West African nation to a standstill.
“The Executive Committee of the Ghana Football Association has endorsed the decision of the GHALCA (Ghana League Clubs Association) to suspend all football related matters until further notice,” the GFA said in a statement.
“The Premier and Division One Leagues as well as FA Cup have been suspended. All national team assignments have also been put on hold. We ask for your understanding and co-operation on these matters.”
FIFA, which briefly suspended Nigeria over political interference in the sport in October, has referred the matter to its emergency committee, which has the power to impose a suspension, if the situation does not change by Sunday.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed