Ghana rewards under-20s with cash, cars, bonds
Ghana: The Ghana team that became the first African nation to win the world under-20 championship in Egypt last month are to be rewarded with a USD 750,000 package, President John Atta Mills said.
The "Black Satellites" beat pre-tournament favourites and four-times winners Brazil 4-3 on penalties after a goalless draw after extra time.
The package includes a Toyota saloon car to each player, squad member and coaching personnel. In addition to the cars, the team will receive cash rewards, from the government and also from private donors.
The cash reward includes 10,000 cedis (USD 6,900) each in Ghana`s 10-15 year bonds -- in itself over twice the average annual salary of a Ghanaian public sector worker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!