Ghana rewards under-20s with cash, cars, bonds
Ghana: The Ghana team that became the first African nation to win the world under-20 championship in Egypt last month are to be rewarded with a USD 750,000 package, President John Atta Mills said.
The "Black Satellites" beat pre-tournament favourites and four-times winners Brazil 4-3 on penalties after a goalless draw after extra time.
The package includes a Toyota saloon car to each player, squad member and coaching personnel. In addition to the cars, the team will receive cash rewards, from the government and also from private donors.
The cash reward includes 10,000 cedis (USD 6,900) each in Ghana`s 10-15 year bonds -- in itself over twice the average annual salary of a Ghanaian public sector worker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi