Giggs sues News of the World over hacking scandal
London: Manchester United great Ryan Giggs became the latest celebrity to take legal action against the News of the World over allegedly hacking into his mobile phone, his lawyer announced.
The 37-year-old - who it was revealed last month by a British lawmaker was the married footballer who won a court injunction to keep details of an alleged affair secret - believes he is one of those whose phone was hacked into between 2005 and 2006.
The London Met Police are presently heading up an investigation into the claims.
In April, Giggs`s team mate Wayne Rooney said had been contacted by detectives involved in the investigation.
In 2007, the first police investigation led to the convictions and imprisonment of then News of the World royal editor Clive Goodman and private investigator Glenn Mulcaire, who was employed by the paper.
Goodman received four months and Mulcaire six months.
Five alleged victims have reached out-of-court settlements with the newspaper, including celebrity publicist Max Clifford, who received a reported USD 1million.
Most recently, actress Sienna Miller formally settled for USD 100,000 damages and costs after accepting an apology from the company for hacking into several of her phones.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest