Giggs sues News of the World over hacking scandal
London: Manchester United great Ryan Giggs became the latest celebrity to take legal action against the News of the World over allegedly hacking into his mobile phone, his lawyer announced.
The 37-year-old - who it was revealed last month by a British lawmaker was the married footballer who won a court injunction to keep details of an alleged affair secret - believes he is one of those whose phone was hacked into between 2005 and 2006.
The London Met Police are presently heading up an investigation into the claims.
In April, Giggs`s team mate Wayne Rooney said had been contacted by detectives involved in the investigation.
In 2007, the first police investigation led to the convictions and imprisonment of then News of the World royal editor Clive Goodman and private investigator Glenn Mulcaire, who was employed by the paper.
Goodman received four months and Mulcaire six months.
Five alleged victims have reached out-of-court settlements with the newspaper, including celebrity publicist Max Clifford, who received a reported USD 1million.
Most recently, actress Sienna Miller formally settled for USD 100,000 damages and costs after accepting an apology from the company for hacking into several of her phones.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi pays tribute to V D Savarkar on birth anniversary
- Star cast of Jimmy Sheirgill's 'Shorgul' out in this brand new poster! – View pic
- Caught on camera: Gram Panchayat president attempting to rape woman in Mandya
- Mega event today to mark 2 years of BJP govt; Amitabh to host small segment on girl child campaign
- Preity Zinta all set to make her first TV show appearance post wedding! – See pic