Gill congratulates Mary Kom
New Delhi: Sports Minister M S Gill on Sunday
congratulated Indian woman boxer M C Mary Kom for winning an
unprecedented fifth successive gold medal at the World
Championships, calling her an "exceptional talent".
"I am delighted that Mary Kom has won the World
Championship title for the fifth time in a row. She has an
exceptional record. Manipur has great sports talent and Mary
Kom is the best. I congratulate her," Gill said in his
The 27-year-old Mary Kom clinched a fifth successive
World Championship gold last night when she beat Romania`s
Steluta Duta in the fly weight 48kg finals in Barbados.
She is the only boxer to have won a medal in each one of
the six World Championships, starting with a silver in the
inaugural 2001 edition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley