Gill meets tennis great Ramanathan Krishnan
New Delhi: Union Sport Minister MS Gill today met tennis great Ramanathan Krishnan and his son Ramesh during their visit to the capital.
"I am very happy to meet them. In my eyes they are very
special people in the country for tennis. What he has achieved
as a young man in college and twice in the semis in Wimbledon,
and in Davis cup challenge round in Australia is great," Gill
said after meeting them at the Ministry.
"There has been some good players but they still have to
go up and try and beat his record. I used to follow very
passionately his game in those day when there was not even
television. In newspaper we followed every bit. So today I am
very honoured to meet him," Gill added.
Ramanathan said it was a rare occasion and meeting the
minister, they had a wonderful morning together.
"It is a honour to meet the Sports Minister. It is a rare
occasion and we are very happy to spend a wonderful morning
with the minister," he said.
Ramanathan said India was doing well in all sports with
the young blood taking up sports seriously.
"We are doing well in all sports, we have come up in
great extent. It is a good thing that more youngsters are
coming up as they have a longer years to perform. Somdev
Devvarman is one of them," he said.
Ramanathan was the 1954 Wimbledon junior champion. He
reached the semi-finals twice in 1960 and 1961 Wimbledon. He
was also a member of the Indian team which reached the final
of the Davis Cup in 1966.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ISIS threat: Home Ministry holds meeting with 12 state DGPs
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Playing politics on terror: Is this how the govt will combat terrorism?
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement