Gill meets tennis great Ramanathan Krishnan
New Delhi: Union Sport Minister MS Gill today met tennis great Ramanathan Krishnan and his son Ramesh during their visit to the capital.
"I am very happy to meet them. In my eyes they are very
special people in the country for tennis. What he has achieved
as a young man in college and twice in the semis in Wimbledon,
and in Davis cup challenge round in Australia is great," Gill
said after meeting them at the Ministry.
"There has been some good players but they still have to
go up and try and beat his record. I used to follow very
passionately his game in those day when there was not even
television. In newspaper we followed every bit. So today I am
very honoured to meet him," Gill added.
Ramanathan said it was a rare occasion and meeting the
minister, they had a wonderful morning together.
"It is a honour to meet the Sports Minister. It is a rare
occasion and we are very happy to spend a wonderful morning
with the minister," he said.
Ramanathan said India was doing well in all sports with
the young blood taking up sports seriously.
"We are doing well in all sports, we have come up in
great extent. It is a good thing that more youngsters are
coming up as they have a longer years to perform. Somdev
Devvarman is one of them," he said.
Ramanathan was the 1954 Wimbledon junior champion. He
reached the semi-finals twice in 1960 and 1961 Wimbledon. He
was also a member of the Indian team which reached the final
of the Davis Cup in 1966.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes