Gill promises Rs 10 lakh to Sushil, hopes for CWG medal
New Delhi: Sports Minister M S Gill on Tuesday
announced a cash award of Rs 10 lakh for World Championship
gold medallist wrestler Sushil Kumar and hoped the grappler
will continue with his fine form in next month`s Commonwealth
Games as well.
Gill promised the reward to Sushil, who is the first
Indian wrestler to achieve the feat, when he met the Minister
at his residence here.
"Sushil has got a rare success in wrestling and we will
give him Rs 10 lakh for this. I am very happy that Sushil has
bagged the honour," Gill said after meeting Sushil, also a
Beijing Olympics bronze medallist.
"I am watching this guy for some time now, he is quite
hardworking and dedicated. I hope he will also win a medal in
the Delhi Commonwealth Games next month," Gill told reporters.
During his visit, Sushil showed him the medal he bagged
in Moscow on Sunday breaking an almost six-decade-old jinx for
the Indians, to Gill while the Minister also asked about his
experience in the Championship.
"I am happy to win this medal. I had to survive some
stiff competition there and now I am confident of doing well
in the Commonwealth Games as well," said Sushil, who overcame
local favourite Gogaev Alan 3-1 in the final.
Asked about the recent doping scandals, Sushil said he is
well aware about what medicines he can consume.
"SAI has given a booklet and I always carry that. I am
aware of the medicines I should use. It is important because
sometimes you fall ill during a competition, in that case you
have to recover as fast as possible," said Sushil.
He had defeated Azerbaijan`s Hasanov Jabrayil in the
semifinal of the 66kg free style category in Moscow.
After getting a bye in the first round, he beat Akritidis
of Greece, Martin Sebastian of Germany and Buyan Jav of
Mongolia en route to the summit stage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa - Statistical highlights