GJM wants hill people to wear only ethnic dresses during pujas
Siliguri (WB): The Gorkha Janamukti Morcha
(GJM) has asked the people in the Darjeeling hills to wear
only traditional dresses during the festive season starting
from October 25.
Nepali-speaking people, in particular, had been asked to
be attired in their ethnic clothes for a month from October
25, GJM general secretary Roshan Giri said.
He said the directive would not only help in preserving
the cultural tradition of the hills but also present a
colourful sight for the tourists. However, he said the
directive should not be misconstrued as imposing restriction
on wearing western dress in the hills.
"We have respect for all cultures - eastern or western
- but at the same time we want to protect, preserve and honour
our own tradition and culture," he pointed out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation