GJM wants hill people to wear only ethnic dresses during pujas
Siliguri (WB): The Gorkha Janamukti Morcha
(GJM) has asked the people in the Darjeeling hills to wear
only traditional dresses during the festive season starting
from October 25.
Nepali-speaking people, in particular, had been asked to
be attired in their ethnic clothes for a month from October
25, GJM general secretary Roshan Giri said.
He said the directive would not only help in preserving
the cultural tradition of the hills but also present a
colourful sight for the tourists. However, he said the
directive should not be misconstrued as imposing restriction
on wearing western dress in the hills.
"We have respect for all cultures - eastern or western
- but at the same time we want to protect, preserve and honour
our own tradition and culture," he pointed out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof