Glasgow CWG will be best ever: OC Vice Chair
New Delhi: All the work related to the 2014
Commonwealth Games will be completed on time and Glasgow will
host the best ever Games, says Louise Martin, Vice Chair of
the Organising Committee representing Commonwealth Games
Scotland on the Glasgow Board.
Martin said that with infrastructure for the quadrennial
event in place, the Games can compete with the Delhi
Commonwealth Games held last October.
"Every member nation wants to hold the best ever
Commonwealth Games and we are confident that Glasgow will also
host the best Games. Our preparations for the event are on
time and with all the infrastructure in place, the 2014
edition can compete with Delhi Games," Martin said.
Martin was in the Capital to attend the meeting of the
Commonwealth Advisory Body on Sports (CABOS) to agree a plan
on target setting, monitoring and evaluating development goals
Martin was elected as a board member to Commonwealth
Games Scotland (CGS) in 1995 and was CGS Chair from 1999 until
November 2007, when her term came to an end in line with CGS
The first woman to hold this post with CGS also had a
word of praise for Delhi organisers, who she said hosted a
successful Commonwealth Games despite all the negative
publicity generated in the build-up to the Games.
"There was lot of negative publicity. Lot of complaints
related to the work. But once athletes started arriving for
the event and saw it themselves, it all became good. Lot of
positive reactions started pouring in and then we saw great
"All the competition venues were world class and they
(organisers) did a good job," said Martin, who is currently
the Commonwealth Games Federation Honorary Secretary, having
been re-elected for a third term in November 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation